Solution Spheres

Using Apple technologies (and possibly others) to create a seamless digital lifestyle for home and business.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

How to lock up your Intel Mac completely

I have found a solid, reliable way to crash my Macbook Pro. By "crash" I mean totally, 100% unrecoverable lockup. The mouse moves, but all other signs of life are gone...

1. Launch Word.
2. Connect external monitor.
3. Do stuff for a while.
4. Disconnect external monitor.
5. Use Cmd-Tab to switch to another app.... BAM! You done been frozed up.

This had been vexing me, until I finally caught GeekTool putting the message from the Console (a crash reporter) onto the desktop... apparently Word must be informed of any monitor activity. Once an external is disconnected, it starts to get cranky.

Bug or feature? Did MS put the bug in to intentionally crash my Mac? Let the conspiracy theories begin!

Anwyay, try it, lots of fun. Thank goodness for web-based work (no appreciable loss of data-- just a real PITA).

1 Comments:

  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lol...you have done it..But I can repair it. I work at a Mac refurb department...alot of times are like that but its a piece of cake to fix that cake problem....It takes about 15 mins to fix it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home